About Convergence Controls:
Convergence Controls’ common values establish a culture where our people are free to be the best they can be. Our work environment is one where we are motivated to respond quickly to client needs and to discover new ways to solve problems. It is our belief that if we hire people who share our common values, and give them freedom and responsibility, those people become a powerful competitive advantage for us; while being able to provide a great opportunity for them. If you think you have what it takes to be one of the best in your field, this is the team for you! We offer competitive compensation; health, dental and life insurance; 401(k) contributions as well as paid time off.
The Lead Mechanical Engineer is responsible for technical oversight of the mechanical engineering department and shall assist the Director of Engineering with administrative leadership of the group. They will lead a team in the design, implementation, and specification of mechanical systems and associated tasks. They must possess hands on experience with equipment selection, equipment layout, and working with piping systems, HVAC, process systems and instrumentation and control systems. It is the responsibility of the Lead Mechanical Engineer to coordinate and supervise the activities of a team of Engineers, Designers, and Drafters to design, process, develop, produce, improve, and test components, products, systems, and services. The Lead Mechanical Engineer further provides planning, direction, and coordination for all technical activities of the team and is responsible for making strategic recommendations and requests to the Director of Engineering. The Lead Mechanical Engineer may also be assigned as a project engineer and as such shall coordinate the discipline design aspects of a project. The Lead Mechanical Engineer will lead, direct, and review the work of others as well as coach and mentor junior Engineers, Designers, and Drafters. They will need to rely on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Administrative tasks associated with the role under the guidance of the Director of Engineering include developing and managing staff training, writing performance appraisals for personnel, and helping prepare proposals. This role requires leadership & management skills, technical proficiency, proactive communication skills, and attention to detail.
The Lead Mechanical Engineer will perform the following tasks:
- Maintain and foster relationships with clients.
- Work with internal and external project teams to define project goals and project scope / requirements with the client and other stakeholders.
- Helps develop a financial plan for the project by negotiating fees and contracts as may be appropriate, preparing the proposal letter, and participating in the resource forecasting process;
- Tracks with the intent to meet all project safety, scope, budget, and schedule requirements.
- Estimate and forecast costs, personnel and material needs for projects, consult with and make recommendations and requests to the Engineering Director in a timely manner to achieve the desired project and business results.
- Prepare proposals, write system narratives, and specifications for equipment, materials, and systems.
- Lead meetings and present information to inform and educate both internal staff and external clients on any topic that is deemed necessary.
- Analyze, design, and develop specifications
for various mechanical systems including, but not limited to:
- Process Piping Systems
- HVAC Systems
- Plumbing Systems
- Medical Gas Systems
- Fire Protection Systems
- Instrumentation and Control Systems
- Other mechanical systems including process flows, process flow diagrams, P&ID’s and equipment schematics, and commissioning and operating procedures.
- Review and provide comments on construction documents provided by other engineering firms related to constructability and functionality.
- Provide Quality Assurance / Quality Control review of documents prepared by Convergence Controls and Engineering.
- Conduct assessments and provide proposed solutions of systems in existing facilities that are not functioning as designed or intended.
- Work with Convergence Control System Integrators to facilitate Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing System Integration / Implementation.
- Provide oversight regarding project designs, drawings, specifications, engineering calculations, equipment selection and application, correspondence, survey, code studies, and construction administration as necessary.
- Review and approve process flow diagrams, P&ID’s, equipment schematics, and drawings created by internal system integrators and external vendors and suppliers.
- Work with internal and external vendors, contractors, procurement staff, and system integrators on various projects, including bid packages, specifications, ordering materials and equipment, and aiding in on-site installation oversight.
- Assist with on-site commissioning, system integration and start-up activities.
- Assist in the development of engineering ‘best practice’ processes, targets and written standards to achieve team goals.
- Assist in new technology research and testing to improve processes.
- Effectively manages team by assisting with recruiting, selection, orientation and training of team members.
- Assist in the mentoring, technical training, and development of department staff.
- Leadership responsibilities also include delegation, coaching and performance management and career development to effectively execute departmental strategies and support company objectives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or greater in Mechanical Engineering required.
- Licensed Professional Engineer.
- 12+ years of experience in facility design or construction industry.
- Experience managing a group of engineering professionals is preferred.
- Mechanical system commissioning experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and the ability and willingness to learn new software applications.
- Knowledge in the use of AutoDesk software is preferred.
- Excellent organizational, time management, and communication skills as well as the ability to adapt to change.
Travel: Office based position. May travel to project related meetings and project sites.